Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Are responsibility and integrity the same thing?

A few days ago I wrote about some of my pet peeves. However, I forgot something....I abhor people who don't take responsibility for their actions or have integrity.

Now, Webster's is one of my friends, so I looked up definitions for both:

integrity: adherence to moral/ethical principles; soundness of moral character; *honesty*

responsibile: answerable or accountable - as for something within one's power, control or management; reliable; dependable

I think I most look at being responsible in the financial realm. Today, so many people are in over their heads with credit card debt and wanting things they can't afford (and yours truly used to be in this category). And, with the "financial crisis" underway in our country things are coming to the forefront regarding this problem.

Allow me to stand on my soapbox for a moment. The problem doesn't rest with the banks, mortgage companies, the president, the dude down the street....the problem rests with each individual American. YOU alone make the decision to buy the car, house, jewelry, camera, video game, etc. YOU sign the paperwork, and as far as I'm aware, no one is forcing you to sign and buy things you can't afford. In other words - you are RESPONSIBLE for the debt you incur. Don't get me wrong, I think some of the financial organizations use unscrupulous measures/tactics to lure you into their pit. It is under your control (see definition) to say NO.

I'm tired of listening to people complain about the things they "have" to have - take a look around....we as Americans have more than most people in the world. There is nothing wrong with wanting things, having nice things or even being wealthy. The Bible says it is the LOVE of these things that causes problems (I Timothy 6:10). The Bible also says to store your treasures up in heaven not earth (Matthew 6:20-21).

I'm as guilty as most in this department - I want things - LOTS of things. As a stay-at-home-mom my finances are a little less than when I was working. Our WANTS require us to plan after our NEEDS are met (shelter, food, clothing). Most often, the wants are put on the back burner for another day - and that is OK with me.

Whew....stepping down off the soap box being careful not to trip (lol!)

Back to the original question....are responsibility and integrity the same thing?

Although there are many definitions and scenarios for what responsible means, I think responsibility and integrity are NOT the same thing. I DO think they are compatible...they go hand-in-hand. I suppose there are circumstances where you can have responsibility but not demonstrate integrity, but I admire people who can be responsible, admit mistakes, step up and take control of their bad decisions and be *honest* about it all.

There is a current email out about integrity - allow me to quote ( I apologize I can't give credit for it as I don't know who penned the words):

"Integrity is having the guts to tell the truth, even if it may hurt. It is having the guts to be honest, even though cheating may bring about a better grade."

But...."Integrity is NOT sinless perfection - a person with integrity does not live a life absolutely free of sin. But with integrity one quickly acknowledges his failures and doesn't hide the wrong."

I encourage you to be honest, responsible and the wonderful head of integrity will surface in your life. May the Lord help me in these areas as well.

In His Grip,
Kandi

1 comment:

  1. amen......
    and I agree. The reason we are in the state we are in this country is because of pure greed!!!

    ReplyDelete