Friday, August 21, 2009

Pet Peeves

I wondered today why things that annoy us are called "pet peeves". I did a little research, and I'm not really satisfied with any of the answers I located. I decided to come up with my own version of the word....anything that annoys me a great deal! Here is my "Top 5 Pet Peeves"

5. Putting the clothes away, but leaving the drawer open! I can't complain, because it is getting done, and I'm VERY thankful for the help....but seriously, can't you push the drawer in the last inch?

4. People who say they are "Christians" than treat fellow believers like dirt. I suppose I am guilty of this as well, but I'm aware of it and try to be more Christ-like. I want to be a "disciple" - to drop everything and follow Him.

3. People who talk to you, but you can tell they're not listening/paying attention. Why do you ask me questions/talk to me if you're not interested in hearing my answers? I would rather you not talk to me or ask me questions if you are going to SHOW that you're not interested....at least, fake it!

2. Not squeezing the sponge out after doing the dishes. A whole Frasier episode was done on this and it is HYSTERICAL! I laughed so hard I was crying.....again, I'm thankful you want to do the dishes, but PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE squeeze the water out of the sponge when you're finished. Can you say, "nasty"? I encourage you to find this episode and watch it - no one understands!

And, my number one pet peeve is.............

1. BLINKERS ARE NOT OPTIONAL ON CARS - USE THEM! It absolutely drives me insane when drivers don't use their blinkers. Perhaps it is one of those anxiety things where I'm afraid someone is going to switch lanes in front of me without using a blinker and there will be this horrific wreck - all because a blinker wasn't used. Or, how many times have you waited for a car to pass you while you are waiting to make a turn and then they turn! UGH!

I suppose I could add another #1 - WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT - again, not optional equipment. And, if you're not smart enough to wear yours, at least buckle your kids into them.

Now, it is only fair that I list a few pet peeves that people have about me....

- I don't always bring my dishes to the sink. More often than not they are on the table, in the bathroom, on the floor, on the deck, outside....well, you get the picture. I'm trying to be better, and I have improved....but still needs work.

- As with the dishes, I tend to leave my shoes laying around the house and the deck as well. I don't know why - it is just me. Poor Al, always picking up my shoes and dishes.

- I have a tendency to interrupt people - working on that as well (Let my words be few....)

- I leave the laundry in the dryer. At least it gets done, right?

Isn't it amazing how the smallest things can really separate people and cause the biggest arguments. I'm learning to try and overlook them and to be patient....but, boy is it hard. And, I wonder, where do the peeves develop from? Really - why is it that a water-filled (smelly) dish sponge bothers me? Who knows!

The Bible says we are all "perfectly and wonderfully" made - does this include our pet peeves?!

In His Grip,
Kandi :)

1 comment:

  1. You won't believe this! I share a lot of those things that I do that drive other's crazy and I'm trying to be better at --
    Leaving my shoes around - I do that.
    Interrupting -- I'm ashamed to say that I do that and KNOW I need to stop and I tell myself the same scripture.....
    And I'm TOTALLY trying to be better about NOT leaving the laudry in the dryer--remember --I'm not a huge fan of the iron.....

    ReplyDelete